Good to see

Tell it Like it Is

Moderators: mishmosh, Gypsy

steve

Re: Good to see

Post by steve » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:23 am

i'm reading a good book at the moment... the secret knowledge on the dismantling of american culture. the exact same thing is happening to our culture but that's for another time.

i see that David Duckenfield will face trial for gross negligence... what an absolute joke that is... this has become very political, it always has been but unfortunately we live in a world where people feel it necessary to find someone to blame. it was an accident, a terrible accident and lets get this straight, in no way am i not unsympathetic to the people who died and the families but this won't bring them back.

We live n a world where there has to be someone to blame, lawyers, the media they all get involved the politicians if they think it will get them some more votes, they all get involved. They then all want to be the one to point out who was to blame and it usually becomes political... anyway it is interesting how the political view of Hillsborough has changed over the years. Back in the day it was all the fans fault, now it is all the fault of the police. i’ve even seen the ambulance service being blamed... deary me... It was neither, if blame is what you are after then we were all to blame. It does make me laugh when i hear politicians today talk about Hillsborough, they know nothing about it, just like the politicians of the time knew nothing. Back in those days all fans were classed as hooligans by politicians and the police, just as the mainstream media today talk about hooligans, when they mention a Tommy Robinson rally or an FLA march, well in those days they talked in the same way about ALL football fans.

There was no such thing as hooligans or real fans that is what a lot of people can't understand. Hooligans were real fans, they didn't go just to have a fight, it was a different time, a different game. you had working class guys from the local area who would travel in there thousands to away games, they didn't all want to fight but the underlying feeling was it could kick off. If your team was doing well you could get thousands going away with you, if the team was doing badly you'd get the loyal hardcore. yeah “the hooligans” as they kept on getting told But you get thousands of young guys together and mix that with drink and you have the potential for violence. In the 80's the police would do all they could to keep rival fans apart but it was impossible. The police were not innocent bystanders by any means, at times they made things worse especially in the way they handled away fans. There was always that threat of violence and at times police got outnumbered, so they had to hit out. Looking at the small bit of violence that happened at the Free Tommy march the other weekend just brought back all those memories of police trying to control a crowd and the situation escalating. When the police were chased that happened because, they found themselves in a difficult situation with growing numbers starting to come at them from different angles, the front and sides. It was a very small minority who wanted to attack the police, you will always get some who take the opportunity to do that but there were a lot of people there and in that situation, the police felt they were losing control. Later on the riot police moved in and some have said that they were heavy handed. Football fans used to say the same thing and still do at times when it kicks off. In the 80's that was the environment that fans would watch football in, it was part of the game. All grounds had high fences, the fans were penned in, there were lots of terrace, no all seated stadiums, all away fans didn't need tickets, most cup games did but not league games, you could turn up on the day and get in, it was very difficult to police a game. It was also a great time to be a fan.

Did Duckenfield make some wrong decisions on the day, he more than likely did but put yourself in his position, if he hadn't opened the gates there was a very good chance there would have been a crush outside the ground. Liverpool fans were well known for getting into grounds without tickets, a lot of fans also arrived at the ground late, as a lot of fans did in those days, as they spent as much time as possible in the local pubs. So you have a situation, fans want to get in, they have had a lot to drink and it is a very hot day, the atmosphere is building and building, the fans want in, they keep pushing. The organisation and the filtering of fans in the approach to the ground should have been better on the day. You know what really makes me sad, the fans that lost their lives that day. because they turned up early and got a place on the open terrace, a place that they had decided they wanted to stand so that they could support their team. But the leppings lane was well known to fans as being a terrace that was prone to swaying and crushing. I’ve been on a terrace when you have lots of fans packed in and you can end up anywhere if a goal ids scored or some incident happens. Don’t get me wrong i loved it and would go back to that time but many grounds were not what you might say “fan friendly” but yeah what happened on that saturday was an accident waiting to happen, take a look at this clip from 1981... we could all look back with hindsight but life is not like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtzHVe2mEN0&t=1s

steve

Post by steve » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:15 pm

steve

Post by steve » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:51 pm

wrong thread :lol:

steve

Post by steve » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:03 am

deary me... i've just come across a guy called Magid Magid... Who you ask... Well he is Sheffield's new Lord Mayor ... now he seems like a nice chap... but lord mayor? really...the guardian love him... no surprise there... i don't care about his politics but have some respect for the office you hold. When I first saw him I instantly thought Eddie Murphy in Coming to America :lol: Call me old fashioned but tradition and values are what help to keep our society together. No wonder we are going down the pan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HkiCCj_4ug

steve

Post by steve » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:35 pm

what a nightmare day i had yesterday...

Fogg

Post by Fogg » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:24 am

Why?

Sheffield's mayor seems like a decent sort of fella. He's not your typical mayor, but what do lord mayor's do anyway? It's just showing up and fetes and stuff? I don't think he's actually in charge of anything.

steve

Post by steve » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:54 pm

Fogg wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:24 am
Why?

Sheffield's mayor seems like a decent sort of fella. He's not your typical mayor, but what do lord mayor's do anyway? It's just showing up and fetes and stuff? I don't think he's actually in charge of anything.
i agree he seems like a fun guy... I don't have a problem with him or his politics. I don't even have a problem with the position that he holds. The problem i have is that he doesn't seem to be respecting tradition or the position. He seems to be making it all about him, so take it seriously and dress appropriately. This is not some sort of extension of his social life, i don't care what he wears when he is not working but when he is on official duty then have some respect and dress accordingly. As far as i know a lord mayor has many official duties - he is representing the community, so he will meet and greet, he will present awards, he will also chair council meetings. Call me old fashioned but is it really too much trouble to put on a suit and dress for the part. He's not out with his mates.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/da ... 202018.pdf

steve

Post by steve » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:40 pm