Graham Coxon interview: ‘The 1990s were fraught. I didn’t enjoy it’

The man, the music, the stripy t-shirts

Moderators: mishmosh, Gypsy

mishmosh

Graham Coxon interview: ‘The 1990s were fraught. I didn’t enjoy it’

Post by mishmosh » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:12 pm

Cracking new interview with GC on veganism, EOTFW, feeling overlooked as an artist and the chances of another Blur album:

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/culture/graham-coxo ... ing-world/

8-)

steve

Re: Graham Coxon interview: ‘The 1990s were fraught. I didn’t enjoy it’

Post by steve » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:05 pm

thanks i'll give it a read... it doesn't mention that soundtrack does it :lol: ;)

steve

Post by steve » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:05 pm

yeah it was an interesting interview.

So what's your opinion on why his solo albums have not sold well?

Fogg

Post by Fogg » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:26 pm

The first couple of albums weren't really commerical at all. Too lo-fi and home made to get any radio play, not catchy enough to garner a big crossover following from any but the most loon Blur fans.

Then, by the time he's knocking out a few albums that could sell decent numbers it coincided with the brief time in history when the entire internet had embraced Kazaa and Napster.

Then get to Spinning Top and you've a strong folksy busy fingers album, but it's only ever going to be a niche interest. A+E always felt like a more determined stab at commercial success to me, but by then we're about 10yrs post Blur, about 8yrs after Happiness in Magazines, and you've got a job on your hands to get any exposure in a world crammed full of Sheerans, Mumfords, and Sandes.

I always got the impression Graham's solo stuff was more about him making the sort of music he wanted to make rather than chasing sales. That's one of the reasons I like it so much.

steve

Post by steve » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:32 pm

You've pretty much covered it foggy but there are a number of other factors that i could mention.
Fogg wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:26 pm
I always got the impression Graham's solo stuff was more about him making the sort of music he wanted to make rather than chasing sales. That's one of the reasons I like it so much.
Well yes and no but there was a concerted effort to promote graham as a solo artist from 2003 to about 06. There were a number of reasons why that changed.

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:55 am

mishmosh wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:12 pm
Cracking new interview with GC on veganism, EOTFW, feeling overlooked as an artist and the chances of another Blur album:

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/culture/graham-coxo ... ing-world/

8-)
Thanks for that, Mish.

Hats off to him, I couldn't go vegan, although I've recently become a pescaterian (and doing surprisingly well). Soya milk in your coffee is enough to put anyone in a terrible mood for the day.

I totally identify with the 'kids = being constantly knackered and having very little time for yourself', and, at a much lower level of course, with the 'I'm an introvert = my work is not widely known'. I still think he's done pretty well though, from my very biased pov.

What do you know, Steve? Tell us more!

steve

Post by steve » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:49 pm

Gypsy wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:55 am
What do you know, Steve? Tell us more!
about what?

Fogg

Post by Fogg » Mon May 21, 2018 2:10 pm

About the reasons why they lost interest in promoting Graham as a solo artist after 2006.

steve

Post by steve » Mon May 21, 2018 4:37 pm

Fogg wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:10 pm
About the reasons why they lost interest in promoting Graham as a solo artist after 2006.
So yeah it was a combination of a number of things that came about at the same time. Love travels got the same promotion from EMI as Happiness in Mags – Graham did a lot of promo work on tv and radio and played the UK / Europe live shows. The following year around 2007, EMI were struggling with massive debts and were taken over by Terra Firma - the least said about that the better – They wouldn't last long as they struggled to pay the interest on the loans they took out – anyway they came in and just cutback on everything including a lot of artists. This was a time when a lot of music fans were Illegally downloading music from the internet.

So with all this going on Graham was developing songs for the Spinning Top and recording started around Feb / March time of 2008. The plan was to release the album around September. In June Graham's manager left CMO – that was a big loss as he had been a major driving force in promoting Graham as a solo artist. Now of course it wouldn't have happened without Graham but the plan was in place and a lot of people put in a lot of hard work to make that happen. You had EMI and the digital media side of things, the fans forum and management all working together.

Then in July Graham left EMI but he got to keep the recordings that he had completed for the Spinning Top. So in the space of a few months Graham no longer had a manager or a label in place. The album would be released in 2009 on transgressive and in the same year Graham rejoined Blur. With the release of the Spinning Top the official website was replaced with a site that was developed for the release of that album – So all the content from the previous 5 years or so was replaced. Now I really liked the design of the site and Nick is a really nice guy but I thought it was a mistake as that site was always only going to have a short shelf life. There has been no active website since it was taken down. A holding page was used for the release of A+E and that is 6 years ago now. So yes that's about it.

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » Tue May 22, 2018 9:08 am

Thanks for that Steve, I somehow managed to miss your question to me on this thread, sorry about that.