New music!

The man, the music, the stripy t-shirts

Moderators: mishmosh, Gypsy

Gypsy

Re: New music!

Post by Gypsy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:05 pm

steve wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:59 pm
no interest in the series and no interest in the score soundtrack songs whatever you want to call them :lol:
It's still new music Steve!

steve

Post by steve » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:54 pm

It is Gyps, but because it is attached to that tv series i don't even find myself interested in listening to the songs.

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:46 am

steve wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:54 pm
It is Gyps, but because it is attached to that tv series i don't even find myself interested in listening to the songs.
That's fair enough, but don't write it off just because of that. The music and lyrics are still all him, and he obviously feels proud enough about it to put his name on it. I must admit I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet myself, but I will. I'm sure it won't disappoint.

Fogg

Post by Fogg » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:17 pm

I reckon Graham backed the right horse with this... It's getting some positive feedback:

https://inews.co.uk/culture/television/ ... -sensation

I'll be honest, I don't know it inside out yet, but I'll give it more time. Steve, it's up to you whether you give it a go or not, but I think it's a bit dismissive to deem it's not worthy of your time just because you don't like the look of the TV show it's been written for.

She Left The Light On... Is it meant to sound that much like Freakin' Out? I can't decide whether it's a deliberate nod, an accident, or just lazy songwriting. Bus Stop, that's good too.

steve

Post by steve » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:13 am

Fogg wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:17 pm
I reckon Graham backed the right horse with this... It's getting some positive feedback:

https://inews.co.uk/culture/television/ ... -sensation

I'll be honest, I don't know it inside out yet, but I'll give it more time. Steve, it's up to you whether you give it a go or not, but I think it's a bit dismissive to deem it's not worthy of your time just because you don't like the look of the TV show it's been written for.

She Left The Light On... Is it meant to sound that much like Freakin' Out? I can't decide whether it's a deliberate nod, an accident, or just lazy songwriting. Bus Stop, that's good too.
The point is they are written for the tv show and I have no interest in listening to the music / songs because of that. It's not a question of not being worthy of my time.

mishmosh

Post by mishmosh » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:07 pm

That's fair enough, the series wasn't exactly my cuppa either. I decided to give it a listen after a few days though - Bus Stop, Walking All Day, She Left the Light On are the stand-out tracks, IMO.

Legless Owl

Post by Legless Owl » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:58 pm

I haven't watched the series, and I barely understand what netflix is anyway, but I gave the album a go the day it was released and have listened to it many times since. For some reasons, I have it on Napster (I'd love to have it on CD but apparently it's just the vinyl? And I --stupidly-- got rid of my record player at the end of the 90s :roll: ) and some songs have different titles. You got me wondering for a second whether I had listened to the right thing as I didn't remember any "She left the light on", so I gave it a listen on YouTube, and it turned out it's the song I knew under the title "Morning Star", oh well!

I suppose it must be better if you know the series, you probably understand better what inspired those songs, but to be honest, I was too thrilled at the idea of listening to new songs by Graham so I couldn't care less.

Anyway, I agree with you on the songs you mentioned, they're really nice (Walking all day never fails to put a smile on my face, Bus Stop has both a retro and modern rythm to it, I love the whistling in Morning Star/She left with the light on. Of course, there are many other things I love about those songs, but I can't be bothered to make a list),

but my favourite on the album is "Saturday night" (shame it's only two minutes long): I don't know, there's something very peaceful but also very sad about it, and I love how "raw" Graham's voice sounds; it makes feel me very emotional, the way some other Graham songs make me feel (i.e This House), or, should I say, the way only Graham songs can make me feel: some of his songs like this one make me feel both sad and nostalgic without knowing why, but they also make me feel serene. That's a weird mix of emotions I can hardly explain, and it doesn't happen with any other artist, that's one thing I've always loved about Graham's music.

I'm really glad we've got some new songs to listen to, and I can't wait for the next new songs :)

(Oh, and it's kinda "funny" seeing kids barely older than 15 years old making covers of Graham's songs, walking all day mostly --yes, I know, that's only because they watched the series but still-- it warms my heart to see the new generation getting to know his music, even if it's through a Netflix series, who knows? Some of them might be curious enough to check his entire discography :D )

steve

Post by steve » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:46 pm

really looking forward to the new eels album :D

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:23 am

steve wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:46 pm
really looking forward to the new eels album :D
Steve Malkmus and the Jicks have a new single out :D :D :D and are touring!

Fingers crossed they'll add a few UK dates.

steve

Post by steve » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:30 pm

Gypsy wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:23 am

Steve Malkmus and the Jicks have a new single out :D :D :D and are touring!

Fingers crossed they'll add a few UK dates.
I'm sure they will. I saw them in 2003 at the festival hall when Coxon was playing. the person I was with didn't like them so we left early. i didn't mind because i was there to see graham.