any news phil...

Tell it Like it Is

Moderators: mishmosh, Gypsy

steve

any news phil...

Post by steve » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:34 am

okay a thread for coxon news... yeah that guy that used to release albums before he ditched that for the blur gravy train... so yeah this is the thread :lol:

so yah anything you might want to say about coxon... i've had a quick look at his twitter account and i wonder what it is all about... i know what i think it's all about but it would be interesting to hear what you think it's for..

Fogg

Re: any news phil...

Post by Fogg » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:30 am

I don't blame him. As for living on the Blur gravy train, that's a pretty good pension I'd imagine, wouldn't we all in that situation?

I'm guessing that making solo albums and touring isn't particularly lucrative when something like Girls and Boys is likely bringing in more than most people earn a year in royalties and whatnot alone. If it was me I'd be happy noodling around doing soundtracks and having lie ins, and generally not putting myself through the grind of trying to sustain some sort of independent fame.

Sure, I'd selfishly like him to continue making loads more music, because I love it, and I'd go to the trouble of travelling miles to see him tour if it happened, but whether he chooses to or not is his call.

As for Twitter, I've not seen it recently. I'm guessing it's the usual random comment followed by a hundred comments saying "come to Argentina" ?

steve

Post by steve » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:24 am

i agree with most of what you said foggy but ...

he's made more money from blur than he could ever have dreamed about when they started so don't be greedy. that also means he doesn't have to worry about earning a living like the vast majority. so he can do as he wants... he can be as creative as he wants.. he can create music and then release it for free. no pressure just creativity. that way he is giving back to the fans who have put him in the position of having such a comfortable lifestyle. strange concept i know.

Fogg

Post by Fogg » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:10 pm

I sort of get that point of view, but there is a shred of entitlement in there somewhere.

Shouldn't we just be grateful for what we've already got? We've no right to expect him to put music out there just for our benefit. It has to be something he wants to do. In spite of that I do find it kind of odd that he's got the talent he obviously has, and that's being under-utilised. How many gigs have we the opportunity to attend in the last 5yrs? 2? It's like being Spiderman but not being all that fussed about scaling skyscrapers and shooting webs out your wrists.

Anyway, for a long long time I was rattled that there was the other half of A+E sitting on masters somewhere and I couldn't wait to hear it. Now I'm beyond caring. If it's released, great. I'll buy it, go see it toured and get the t-shirt too. If it's not, it's not as if there aren't a 100 million other songs out there waiting to be listened to.

steve

Post by steve » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:24 pm

great post Foggy, again I agree with most of what you said. I especially like the Spiderman analogy :lol: but maybe he has lost his special powers and he can no longer knock out a tune to compete with likes of Ed Sheehan or Lewis Capaldi :lol:

I'm like you, if he decides to release more music then great but if he doesn't then he doesn't. Regarding entitlement - What I said in my last post was an idea to give something back to fans, it was not something that I feel he has to do but a gesture of thanks to the many fans who have been waiting a long time for new material. But he doesn't have or need to do anything like that. And no one should expect it.

I think I am only entitled to one thing, as is any other fan and that is to be kept informed about what an artist is doing. If they want my money the least they can do is keep me updated. I don't think it is asking much to expect an update on the website (maybe that is expecting too much :lol: ) certainly on social media / his own twitter account for example with some information on what he plans to do in the coming year. Say something like ,I plan to take the next year off or I plan to go into the studio and work on a few songs, then after that an update on a possible album release on such and such a time scale. That should have been the case for each of the last 7 years and his management have also go to take responsibility for this as well.

Lets gets this right, he is an artists that wants the public to buy his product when it is released. If he doesn't then do as I said and release it for free. That to me is a simple thing to do and as far as I'm concerned it is only treating fans with the respect they deserve. But this is something that shouldn't need to be said, in this day and age of social media you'd think that it might cross your mind that I will keep fans informed through my twitter account. If that is not the case then I'm sorry but the question has to be asked does that person deserve support.