The man, the music, the stripy t-shirts

Moderators: mishmosh, Gypsy

steve

Re: New Graham solo gigs

Post by steve » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:46 pm

Fogg wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:39 am
Will do!

I just checked in to say I'm on my way, and that red t-shirt isn't. Sorry, I just don't have the nerve. :D
hope you have a good time.

mishmosh

Post by mishmosh » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:38 pm

Have a blast Foggster! It looks like quite a civilised sit down affair - I'd be useless. :lol:
Fogg wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:39 am

I just checked in to say I'm on my way, and that red t-shirt isn't. Sorry, I just don't have the nerve. :D

BOO! Chicken Licken! ;)

Fogg

Post by Fogg » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:42 am

It wasn't a gig to mosh much Michmosh.

It made The Spinning Top gigs seen high octane. It was a great 2hr acoustic busk. Incredibly intimate. I'll get some sleep and fill you in.

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:45 am

Fogg wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:42 am
It wasn't a gig to mosh much Michmosh.

It made The Spinning Top gigs seen high octane. It was a great 2hr acoustic busk. Incredibly intimate. I'll get some sleep and fill you in.

Oohhhh sounds great!!! I really hope he adds more dates...

Eagerly awaiting your full account Fogg :D

Fogg

Post by Fogg » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:29 am

Right, where are we? This'll still be brief as I've got to get most of yesterday's work done as well as today's now...

Kicked off with R U Lonely and Latte, then a cover of a nice tune written by some guy who ended up in Desmonds, the 1980s sitcom on Channel 4. then Falling, the song recently released for Mind. That was touching, and a special moment.

Beyond that it was a mish-mash of material across the albums, but quite a lot of new stuff from the EOTFW album, and The Spinning Top. The acoustics and mood of the venue made it suitable for that picky stuff, and totally unsutable for the SG weilding Freakin' out and similarly noisy tunes from the back catalogue. So 'initimate' pretty much sums it up. A nice mix of tunes though, pretty much a 2hr acoustic set, which included Miss America and you're So Great from Blur. "Good band, they were" someone shouted out after Miss America, Sean probably, which got a chuckle from the crowd, and Graham himself.

Graham did quite a lot of looping, that thing Ed Sheeran does where he taps percussion or plays a chord patern, then repeats it and plays twiddly bits over the top. That was effective and something he's getting very good at.

The "in the round" thing made it different. It was brilliant from the fan's point of view, but a bit intimidating from Graham's. Being surrounded in the middle of a cylinder, he commented that it was like being on trial in a sci-fi movie. Quite a good observation, I thought.

There didn't seem to be too many people with their phones out, so I'm not sure how much of it will surface on Youtube. What is remarkable is Graham played for 2hrs straight and has enough material in his back catalogue to barely have scratched the surface. All told I had a blast. I loved the band shows of yore with Owen, Stuffy, Jen, Lucy and Toby, and in truth that type of gig is my preference, but it was a real privilege to get to see something stripped back and raw. Just the man and his talent.

Five stars. Let's have the next gig before 2025 please!

Fogg

Post by Fogg » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:38 am

mishmosh wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:38 pm
BOO! Chicken Licken! ;)
Honestly, as much as I'd like to have given you a laugh it'd not have been worth a whole day of feeling self-conscious and wishing I was invisiblle. :D

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:40 am

Fogg wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:29 am
it was a real privilege to get to see something stripped back and raw. Just the man and his talent.

Five stars. Let's have the next gig before 2025 please!
Great stuff, thanks Fogg.

God, I really, truly hope he adds more UK dates after the US tour... looks like we all missed a hell of a treat.

mishmosh

Post by mishmosh » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:19 pm

Sounds amazing, Fogg. Sounds like I missed quite a special night !

Let's hope GC enjoyed it so much, he adds another date down south later on in the year. I desperately want to hear 'You're So Great' in person ! Was there a good turn out?

steve

Post by steve » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:35 pm

sounds like a really good gig and a 2 hour set... well worth the drive i would have thought. what did you think of the EOTFW songs now you have had a chance to hear them played live?

Fogg

Post by Fogg » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:44 pm

My opinion of the new stuff hasn't really changed. I still like the songs I liked more than the ones I didn't so much.

I still can't hear this one without hearing Freakin' Out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0AKH2SjdJ4

Is that just me?

But yeah, definitely worth half a tank of diesel. And I don't get out nearly enough these days either. :D