https://youtu.be/D1CRxeOrPC4?t=1

best version of Girls & Boys
https://youtu.be/mdqC7Lk8gXs?t=1

Great vocals by Damon
https://youtu.be/RcWk640Rjq0?t=4

13d

Re: Blur have never been better

Post by 13d » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:02 am

something weird about Graham in that first vid.. thinking it might be the strat?? :?

been listening to the magic whip a lot these days.. really love it as much as the older stuff

steve

Post by steve » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:34 am

13d wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:02 am
something weird about Graham in that first vid.. thinking it might be the strat?? :?
it might well be :lol: but i'm liking the new look... has he done something to his hair ... not sure about alex though :lol:
13d wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:02 am
been listening to the magic whip a lot these days.. really love it as much as the older stuff
yeah i really like it but not listened in a while. This is where i'm at with blur, i think they have always been good at pop. A great British pop band but when they try and branch out they become very average. They are a strange band because on all their albums they have about three or four great songs and about the same number of terrible songs. You think how the hell did that make the cut. How can a band be so good and bad at the same time. that to me is why they have never released a classic album. It's just far too much across the board. Maybe they were trying to be too clever or maybe Damon trying too hard as always. Not sure.

13d

Post by 13d » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:04 pm

it's funny.. from my experience.. i find that one person's "bad" blur song is another's fav :lol:

i guess i'm kinda weird in that i like majority of their songs.. who could like country house yet regard the outro of 1992 as one of the most beautiful song endings ever? me :twisted:

they've sound-tracked my life & i've as much love for the magic whip as i do any of the previous albums.. for the whole thing & what it represents..
there's a real depth in there... especially for us, ahem "older" fans :? .. who have followed the journey..

be cool to hear them do a "covers gig" of their favourite songs.. with some special guests covering their songs :idea: :P

steve

Post by steve » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:55 am

13d wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:04 pm
it's funny.. from my experience.. i find that one person's "bad" blur song is another's fav :lol:
you're more than likely right. :lol:
13d wrote:
i guess i'm kinda weird in that i like majority of their songs.. who could like country house yet regard the outro of 1992 as one of the most beautiful song endings ever? me :twisted:
i'm the same i can like parts of songs but not the whole thing... or some songs that some people might not like because it was "popular" for me it all comes down to what i prefer.
13d wrote:
they've sound-tracked my life & i've as much love for the magic whip as i do any of the previous albums.. for the whole thing & what it represents..
there's a real depth in there... especially for us, ahem "older" fans :? .. who have followed the journey..

be cool to hear them do a "covers gig" of their favourite songs.. with some special guests covering their songs :idea: :P
I totally get that. songs have that ability to take you back to a time and a place, good or bad. so that has an influence on us all. the is the good thing about music. it's all about opinions.

as for the covers thing... interesting thought...

mishmosh

Post by mishmosh » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:38 pm

I'm with you there, as I've always felt that Blur were either pure genius or very mediocre at best with not much in between. IMO, their Britpop era has dated considerably and is unlistenable in places, especially songs like Country House and Top Man.

Their best work has to be Modern Life Is Rubbish followed by Blur and 13 - you really can't beat a good song about smack! :lol:

steve

Post by steve » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:18 pm

mishmosh wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:38 pm
you really can't beat a good song about smack! :lol:
:lol:

i liked the Blur album a lot but do you not think that M.O.R. was a shocker of a song? That's an example of what I mean about being really good then really bad. I just thought it was a blatant attempt to try for a hit single. And it failed on so many levels. Whoever decided to put i n on the album needs shooting ... a b-side at best.

mishmosh

Post by mishmosh » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:52 am

I've always liked it, especially the frantic guitar on the single version.

The chorus reminds me of David Bowie's 'Boys Keep Swinging' a bit!

Fogg

Post by Fogg » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:30 pm

You're not alone in thinking that, Bowie ended up with a writing credit for MOR.

I'm sure I've seen a clip somehwere of Graham impersonating Bowie, telling Damon he's a very naughty boy.

I'd agree with you that Modern Life, Blur & 13 are the best three albums. But when I lived it I utterly loved Leisure, but they lost me when Popscene came out, I just thought it had all gone too artsy, commercial, Smash Hits for me. I'm not sure what I was listening to in '93 to '95, Blind Melon and Lenny Kravitz, probably, but it wasn't any Blur past Leisure.

I'm a bit unusual, I think, because I ended up getting into Blur via Graham's solo stuff rather than the other way round. I've never particularly loved any of Damon's side projects, for me Blur were always a band at their best when Graham's contribution is the most evident.

steve

Post by steve » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:14 am

mishmosh wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:52 am
I've always liked it, especially the frantic guitar on the single version.

The chorus reminds me of David Bowie's 'Boys Keep Swinging' a bit!
the lyrics are terrible