virtue signalling has taken over

Tell it Like it Is

Moderators: mishmosh, Gypsy

steve

virtue signalling has taken over

Post by steve » Wed May 08, 2019 8:35 am

See here is the problem... as much as social media is great for giving people a voice the sad part is the way it exposes people talking nonsense. now i don't mind someone having a different opinion to me. In fact I prefer that. Looking at the other persons point of view is the only way you gain more knowledge and learn about the subject you are talking about. And here in lies the problem. Too many people don't want to learn or take the time to understand something, so they take the lazy opinion and go with what makes them look good to other people. So all they are then surrounded by this safe bubble that does not require them to learn anything or gain a better knowledge of what they are talking about all they have to do is repeat what others have said on twitter or Facebook. So as long as they then surround themselves with the group they don't get exposed.

There was a period many years ago when you could more or less trust the media to report on the facts but then opinion columns started to dominate and now that is all we are left with. the tv and news print media are all pushing an agenda and it is now so blatant that they don't even hide it. When did journalism stop being independent... is it down to the breakdown of morals in society... i don't know what i do know is we are living in a world now where people repeat lies in an attempt to further their argument and society no longer has guidelines on what is acceptable. Is it just about winning is it just about beating your opponent is it all part of the game. Is it about trying to shout down your opponent rather than have a civil debate with them. I believe that can't debate for the reasons i have already mentioned. So they shout and screen as loud as they can. Do people no longer have standards. more importantly do politicians or the media no longer have standards. The hypocrisy is absolutely shocking and the worrying g thing is they can't see it or more importantly they don't want to see it.

Fogg

Re: virtue signalling has taken over

Post by Fogg » Wed May 08, 2019 9:55 am

'Virtue signalling' is the term bigots use when they encounter decency.

I don't think it's pretending to be nice so much, it's more to do with not being enamoured by a narrow-minded populist viewpoint.

You're talking as if you've seen the light, and anyone who's not hopping on this alt-right bandwagon you're riding on is only not on it because they don't know what you know. I'd contest that point of view, I think you're the one that's wrong and you've bought into an idealogy that's not going to make anything better for anyone.

That's actually what I think. You'll just perceive it as virtue signalling, won't you? :D

steve

Post by steve » Wed May 08, 2019 4:36 pm

Fogg wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:55 am
'Virtue signalling' is the term bigots use when they encounter decency.

I don't think it's pretending to be nice so much, it's more to do with not being enamoured by a narrow-minded populist viewpoint.

You're talking as if you've seen the light, and anyone who's not hopping on this alt-right bandwagon you're riding on is only not on it because they don't know what you know. I'd contest that point of view, I think you're the one that's wrong and you've bought into an idealogy that's not going to make anything better for anyone.

That's actually what I think. You'll just perceive it as virtue signalling, won't you? :D
haha :lol: alt-right :lol: you really don't know me at all. But go ahead.

'Virtue signalling' is the term bigots use when they encounter decency". :lol: So i'm a bigot then

That is the interpretation that you want to put on it. But it really does depend on what it is you are talking about.

Did I mention right or left? did i say anything about just discovering something? That is your interpretation. Instead of asking me you want to label me. :D

Fogg

Post by Fogg » Wed May 08, 2019 7:53 pm

I haven't just jumped to conclusions. You've been banging on about how brilliant Trump is for years, and are seemingly Tommy Robinson's #1 fanboy.

Agreed, I don't really know you at all. Perhaps you aren't a bigot, but from the viewpoint of someone who just wants everyone to get along and stop being so sodding tribal all the time your views do often seem intolerant to my snowflaky sensibilities.

I still think that "virtue signalling" is, so far as I can tell, primarily a term that gets used to dismiss a moderate view. I maintain that in the vast majority of cases where it's used the person being accused of it is simply being honest, and they're not pretending to be liberal to impress.

steve

Post by steve » Thu May 09, 2019 12:38 am

Foggy, we are just different people. we approach things in a different way. As well as pointing out the rights and wrongs of the world . Maybe you see me as moaning too much but I'm sitting around the camp fire or in the pub talking about things that make me passionate that get the blood flowing. I love people with passion, with strong opinions who want to debate, who want to argue their point. For me this place is an open forum where you can talk nonsense, put the word to rights or laugh or debate. At times i'm being serious and other times i'm having a laugh with myself. With me what you see is what you get. I'm not a fence sitter, i'll say what i think and how i feel at the time but seriously i'm very easy to get on with. This is me on and offline.

Over the last 20 years of the forum going back to the old transcopic site i have been good friends with three people for the majority of that time. we still keep in contact but maybe i should help in contact more but that is a failing on my part. As well as that some other people have got to know me for a short period of time. I guess you'd need to ask them if i'm a bigot or not. What i am is honest and i won;t just go along with something to be popular. Take Skweets, i love his passion i love his knowledge of music hearing him talk about bands that he's seen and other stories. He's got a passion for Bernie Sanders, that's great i like to listen to people who talk with a passion and strong opinions. I loved Del for the way he was but we fell out a lot because he was passionate and we would disagree over many things. Mostly to do with Graham :lol:

but yeah. I'd love everyone to get on but you seem to be attacking me for pointing out the blatant lies and divisions that i am seeing, and they seem to be getting worse. The media think it is fair game to attack tommy robinson, they think it is funny to punch him or throw a drink in his face and many other people seemed to enjoy that. :lol: like i said before Tommy can handle himself so its not so much that as the hypocrisy of people saying that is okay.
But they would soon have a different opinion if it was done to someone they like. Or if it happened to them. The hypocrisy is laughable, the same people were going on about poor old Jeremy getting hit with an egg. I think the guy that attacked Corbyn was a moron just like this lying fool that attacked Robinson. Again this is what i was talking about in my original post, the lack of moral standards. You either have standards you want to uphold in society or you don't. You can't pick and choose when it suits you. I noticed that Coxon posted the milkshake clown on his twitter page - not a page a visit very often but i went on it the other day - so he would find it funny if someone decided to throw a drink in his face as he's waiting to sign autographs or talking with fans. I know for a fact hat he wouldn't and nor would almost all of those people that seem to think that is fine. Funny thing is back on the old forum he came on to complain about some fans that had thrown some stuff on stage at one of the festivals while he was playing - he wasn't even hit but he was complaining - it just so happened that one of the fans posted on the forum and said if i pay my ticket i can do what i want and they were only having a good time. As I pointed out would they be okay with me turing up at their work and throwing things at them. I don't think so.

Anyway i digress but agin it comes down to having standards and as far as i can see standards in society are going down the pan and the media are partly responsible for that. As for seeing the light or seeing what other people can't - No that is not the case but I have been going on for years about Facebook and twitter and how they are helping to divide people. I gave a talk about it at University about 8 years ago so this is not new as far as i'm concened. They are also now banning people because they have a different political view. So much for freedom of speech. Anyway i have went on long enough. but my first post was aimed at the hypocrisy of the media and of politicians and their agenda. They set the standards of what is deemed acceptable, then people react to that on social media. This doesn't encourage debate it is helping to create divisions as far as i'm concerned.

steve

Post by steve » Thu May 09, 2019 8:04 am

just an update to what i said last night...
i want to make it clear i am happy for people to voice their opinion and i am totally for freedom of speech. But with that freedom comes standards and i do not think it is acceptable to get in peoples faces and mouth off at them in the street. If you want to protest near by then fine. But if you try and create confrontation with another group then you should be asked to move on if you don't then you should be arrested. I'm using the Tommy Robinson milkshake incident as an example because of the reaction to it - he was also punched twice that day and no one was arrested - and as i see it it is a simple matter of what you think is acceptable and what is not. I don't believe that because you disagree with a person or group you have the right to assault them or be abusive or confrontational.

Ask yourself this if it happened to be a bald headed white guy and he had done this to Sadiq Khan - how would the media be reacting how would social media be reacting? - i know exactly how they would react. That guy would now be in prison and the media and the left would have went into meltdown with stories of nazi hate headlines. Yet what actually happened was many people celebrated this numpty as a hero. Yet before the milkshake incident he had already been accused of assaulting two women. The police did nothing and his actions have been caught on camera. When according to him He was the one that was being followed he was just going about his business and as the only asian he was being confronted and he felt intimidated. So not only is he playing the race card but he is clearly lying. yet the media were happy to run with this pack of lies because of their agenda.

Here is a video of the "hero" from that day. This was the guy who was keeping himself to himself. The clip is 2 minutes long but if you don't want to watch from the start i have moved it forward because it says it all.

https://youtu.be/lC-LlcADDu8?t=54

Now does anyone think that is acceptable?

This was not a football ground this was the local high street where people were going about their business. This guy was acting like a scumbag, yet certain people have been happy to applaud his actions. Seriously these people need to have a word with themselves. But of course they won't.

Fogg

Post by Fogg » Thu May 09, 2019 5:06 pm

FWIW I don't really condone milkshakes being chucked over anyone. It's not civil.

I've not been celebrating Robinson being on the receiving end, I don't think it's funny or constructive. That being said I've long seen Robinson as an agitator, I think he's inflamed tensions, and much of the anger he's evoked he's bears responsibility for if you ask me.

steve

Post by steve » Thu May 09, 2019 5:45 pm

no worries foggy...sorry if i upset you in anyway i do go on a bit :lol: but i just want to let you know that nothing i said was aimed at you. :)

steve

Post by steve » Fri May 10, 2019 3:56 pm

just confirms what i have been saying...

Journalist "I can be as biased as I like"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZS7UdfZIwI

steve

Post by steve » Tue May 14, 2019 12:11 am

Maajid Nawaz is spot on as usual

https://youtu.be/u8UZAJHCO8A?t=1