Graham Coxon interview: ‘The 1990s were fraught. I didn’t enjoy it’

The man, the music, the stripy t-shirts

Moderators: mishmosh, Gypsy

mishmosh

Graham Coxon interview: ‘The 1990s were fraught. I didn’t enjoy it’

Post by mishmosh » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:12 pm

Cracking new interview with GC on veganism, EOTFW, feeling overlooked as an artist and the chances of another Blur album:

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/culture/graham-coxo ... ing-world/

8-)

steve

Re: Graham Coxon interview: ‘The 1990s were fraught. I didn’t enjoy it’

Post by steve » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:05 pm

thanks i'll give it a read... it doesn't mention that soundtrack does it :lol: ;)

steve

Post by steve » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:05 pm

yeah it was an interesting interview.

So what's your opinion on why his solo albums have not sold well?

Fogg

Post by Fogg » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:26 pm

The first couple of albums weren't really commerical at all. Too lo-fi and home made to get any radio play, not catchy enough to garner a big crossover following from any but the most loon Blur fans.

Then, by the time he's knocking out a few albums that could sell decent numbers it coincided with the brief time in history when the entire internet had embraced Kazaa and Napster.

Then get to Spinning Top and you've a strong folksy busy fingers album, but it's only ever going to be a niche interest. A+E always felt like a more determined stab at commercial success to me, but by then we're about 10yrs post Blur, about 8yrs after Happiness in Magazines, and you've got a job on your hands to get any exposure in a world crammed full of Sheerans, Mumfords, and Sandes.

I always got the impression Graham's solo stuff was more about him making the sort of music he wanted to make rather than chasing sales. That's one of the reasons I like it so much.

steve

Post by steve » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:32 pm

You've pretty much covered it foggy but there are a number of other factors that i could mention.
Fogg wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:26 pm
I always got the impression Graham's solo stuff was more about him making the sort of music he wanted to make rather than chasing sales. That's one of the reasons I like it so much.
Well yes and no but there was a concerted effort to promote graham as a solo artist from 2003 to about 06. There were a number of reasons why that changed.

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:55 am

mishmosh wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:12 pm
Cracking new interview with GC on veganism, EOTFW, feeling overlooked as an artist and the chances of another Blur album:

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/culture/graham-coxo ... ing-world/

8-)
Thanks for that, Mish.

Hats off to him, I couldn't go vegan, although I've recently become a pescaterian (and doing surprisingly well). Soya milk in your coffee is enough to put anyone in a terrible mood for the day.

I totally identify with the 'kids = being constantly knackered and having very little time for yourself', and, at a much lower level of course, with the 'I'm an introvert = my work is not widely known'. I still think he's done pretty well though, from my very biased pov.

What do you know, Steve? Tell us more!

steve

Post by steve » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:49 pm

Gypsy wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:55 am
What do you know, Steve? Tell us more!
about what?