social media

Tell it Like it Is

Moderators: mishmosh, Gypsy

steve

social media

Post by steve » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:10 am

okay so this video brings up some interesting points.... and it made me laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgwluZdJwpo

i'm old enough to have been around before the internet, before social media, so i can see the pros and cons of it. what do you all think and how much does it take over your life... i'm old school so i don't have a smart phone - i have a phone that can send and receive text messages and calls but nothing else - i don't have a Facebook or twitter account. i post on this forum and that is it. I don't send many emails - even less now than I use to - as I'm sure some people who know me would tell you. I'm not great at keeping in touch. I'm not saying i've got it right, i'm as bad as most people i guess for the time i spend online although i don't spend much of that time interacting with people. I've never understood the twitter thing, i understand it from the point of someone in the public eye who needs that constant attention and ego boost or to promote something but i can't see much other benefit. Facebook I can see if you want to stay in touch with "friends" but having never been part of that is it not like getting the same minded people together to agree with each other and to pat each other on the back about how good we all are and how much other people are all bad... :lol: i don't know you tell me.

Gypsy

Re: social media

Post by Gypsy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:42 am

It takes way too much of my time... it's awful really, but it's also useful. I particularly like Instagram these days, FB has gotten really boring and my Twitter is full of Brexit doom and gloom and bickering 24/7, so I try to avoid it. I'm on snapchat as well but mostly for the filters, which provide some good laughs for my 8-year-old (and myself!). So, all in all, good to have but potentially addictive. I should really waste less time on in, but I wouldn't want to be without it.

steve

Post by steve » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:46 pm

definitely addictive and you can end up wasting a lot of time...now i spend more time on youtube than anywhere else. going back years it was the graham coxon website / forum. i don't watch the news on tv so the internet is good for that.

steve

Post by steve » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:24 pm

Gypsy wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:42 am
I particularly like Instagram these days,
Gyps, what is it about Instagram that you like over the other forms of social media? I know photography is an important part of you life...

this is just a general point ... you know what I feel is too many people are trying to create an image for themselves on social media... hey look at me.. my life is so interesting and i'm this wonderful human being, i care about everything and i'm not prejudice...its all garbage... it really is... in life now very few people are honest with who they are or what views they hold... it's an image they are trying to create... in a way they are copying what "celebs" are doing... and being part of that world or they think being part of that is enhancing them in some way... like i say just total fake crap...

Fogg

Post by Fogg » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:19 am

I don't buy that. If anything I think social media allows a lot of people to show their real colours when they'd be more guarded in real life. Some of the outrageous comments left on Youtube videos and tweets made, I often struggle to believe people behave in the same way in real life.

Speaking for myself, I'm pretty sure my social media presence is true to my real beliefs. I certainly don't feel I mask anything, but I'm not really ashamed of my political views. I voted Lib Dem & remain, and lost. I can't be blamed for anything.

I saw Geoff Norcott, the right-wing comic, do a set a while back and he comes out and asks his audience who voted Tory. No one ever says they did, yet this was in St Ives, where John Major used to be an MP, it's a Tory stronghold... I don't doubt that people who lean to the right are more likely to be discreet about it. A fear of appearing selfish, I'd guess.

steve

Post by steve » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:55 pm

Fogg wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:19 am
I don't buy that. If anything I think social media allows a lot of people to show their real colours when they'd be more guarded in real life. Some of the outrageous comments left on Youtube videos and tweets made, I often struggle to believe people behave in the same way in real life.
Yeah but that is partly what I am talking about. They can get away with comments like that because of the anonymity or by using a fake profile whatever you want to call it. So they are not saying... hey this is me, that's what I think.
Fogg wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:19 am
Speaking for myself, I'm pretty sure my social media presence is true to my real beliefs. I certainly don't feel I mask anything, but I'm not really ashamed of my political views. I voted Lib Dem & remain, and lost. I can't be blamed for anything.
I wasn't really talking political views, more about your as you say beliefs and views as a person. I don't know if you use your real name do you? I get why certain people might want to hide behind another name, even if they are not saying what they might think is controversial, they might want to protect a job they might have but that goes towards the fake identity and not backing up what you believe in. Like we all know there is certain things that you just can't get away with even if you might say something as joke... if you are in the public eye you have to come across as this perfect person. Say the right things be seen to be doing the right things... it's fake... I have flaws, i might say something that a lot of people might not like or might not be very pc.. i've certainly done things that I know I shouldn't have... that's real life. but trying to create this perfect personality is not.

steve

Post by steve » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:12 am

okay so the latest interview by Morrissey on his own website is another example of what I am talking about. Just his views, no spin, no package no, no image control. Hey this is me and this is my views. Totally respect for that. In a world where you are made to feel that you can't give your views incase you are accused of being called racist or one phobia or another or put into a box then it is really refreshing. The reaction of the lefty liberals and even fans of his music does give me a good laugh. :lol: agree with his views - and i personally agree with a fair bit of that interview - don't agree with his views, you must admit it is refreshing to hear a person who is part of an entertainment industry that is so manipulated by image control actually giving his opinion. People in the entertainment industry are scared to say what they believe because it could kill their career. Modern society now is so controlled that unless you play along you don't get along. So again it goes back to saying all the right things or in most cases just not saying anything of note. They have taken individuality, character whatever you want to call it out of the people we like, be it sports, music, film. You are now only allowed to think one way, you are only allowed to act in a certain way. If you don't you'll be dropped, your pr will do their best but when sponsors start leaving you then you are finished. Even fans are quick to say i won't listen to his music or watch his films and such like. You can't be allowed to think for yourself. You have to go along with the perceived wisdom. We are now living in an homogenised time.