Sheilasa

Re: What's going on with you, then?

Post by Sheilasa » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:02 am

How did the half go Fogg?

Fogg

Post by Fogg » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:28 am

Sort of ok.

I finished it in 2:08, which I think is alright given my starting point and total failure to take the training programme seriously. I can't say I enjoyed the last half much, I was running on empty at the end, and that finish line couldn't come soon enough. My wife did well too, finishing around the 2:30 mark. The sense of achievement is immense though, we're not really sporty types at all. Or at least we weren't.

In other news I've somehow become the poster boy for parkrun UK. Thankfully I'm wearing a better t-shirt.

I thought getting a half done would make the full marathon seem more doable, but the opposite has happened, it's opened my eyes to just how daunting the thing really is. Gerry's right, I'm going to need a lot of luck and prep for that.
Last edited by Fogg on Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fogg

Post by Fogg » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:29 am

- And thanks for asking. :D

skweetis2u

Post by skweetis2u » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:24 pm

congrats - yeah - pretty fkn awesome actually - running is such a great healthy work-out, but it is HARD to go from
no fitness program to running 30 miles a week - week in - week out. most people reject the concept - because the work
involved is just too demanding. once you get there it is fun and feels really good vast majority of time.
hang in there - keep it up fogg

steve

Post by steve » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:19 pm

well done foggy. That was a good time and really good for your first go. So you might be looking at around 5 hours for the Marathon. I guess depends on the weather and how you are feeling.

Sheilasa

Post by Sheilasa » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:09 am

Wow! You and your wife did so well Foggy! And both looking so fit because of the running! Stay motivated and you might do that marathon yet! Well done! :)

mishmosh

Post by mishmosh » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:05 pm

Nice work, Foggy! Have you signed up for any other half marathons?

Fogg

Post by Fogg » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:40 pm

Yes, I've got St Neots in a few weeks, and Cambridge next spring.

I was out in Cambridge last night. I went to see Steven Page (formerly of Barenaked Ladies) play a church of all places. He was great, but it didn't half make me feel old. 26yrs to the day previous I was in the Corn Exchange next door to see Blur plugging Leisure. They didn't have a cello.